Congregation Kneseth Israel Cemetery 5246 Hohman Avenue
Hammond, IN 46320
Kneseth Israel Synagogue was established in Hammond, Indiana in 1908. The Orthodox congregation actually formed earlier in 1902 by Sam Abelman and 14 other men. In 1918, a new synagogue was built and shared with a Reform congregation until 1923 when the Reform congregation decided to build their own temple. In 1958, the congregation moved again to a new synagogue on Hohman Avenue. On April 1, 1975, Kneseth Israel merged with Temple Beth El of Gary and Beth Sholom of East Chicago to form Congregation Beth Israel. The congregation remained at that address until 2004. In 2006 a new temple was dedicated at 535 Progress Avenue in Munster, Indiana.
The cemetery, also known as Hammond Jewish Cemetery, New Whiting Cemetery or Zipinski Cemetery, is located at 1597 167th and Indianapolis Blvd in Hammond. Our collection includes 611 graves, dating back to 1923. This data was donated by Trudy Barch of the Illiana JGS.
Use the drop-down to search within a specific collection.