New Light Cemetery
Burials through Sept 19, 2017
Database contains 1,945 records
The New Light Cemetery was established by European Jewish immigrants in 1895 and continues to serve not only those who found sanctuary in the United States, but also those who were born here. It is located at 6807 N. East Prairie Road, Lincolnwood, IL. The New Light Society (known as Chevra Or Chodash) was established in 1895, and incorporated in 1896, to provide burial places for the Jewish members of the New Light Society and their immediate families, to conduct religious services and to conduct memorial services, burial services and contribute to philanthropic and cultural causes.
The New Light Society was dissolved in 1926 by the Illinois Secretary of State for the failure to file annual reports. Its activities were then taken over by the New Light Cemetery Association. On March 29, 1926, the Society deeded its cemetery to the New Light Cemetery Association. JGSI member Alvin Holtzman indexed the cemetery in 2017. We have 1,945 records online dating back to the late 1890's.