Our Next Event:


Jewish Genealogical Society of Illinois

Log in

Chicago Home for Jewish Orphans


Data Processing in Progress

Throughout the nineteenth century, the only home for Jewish orphans in the Midwest was located in Cleveland, Ohio. Given Chicago's growing population of poor and immigrant Jews, a number of concerned Jewish women approached the United Hebrew Charities about establishing an orphans home in Chicago. Organized in 1892, the home opened at 3601 Vernon Avenue on October 7, 1894; the orphanage moved in 1899 to a larger building, at 62nd and Drexel, across the street from the Home for Aged Jews. The Chicago Home for Jewish Orphans was later named Woodland Hall.

An article published in 2006 in Constructing the Past by Natalie Burda compares and contrasts the two Jewish orphanages in Chicago - the Chicago Home and the Marks Nathan Home. It focuses on the differences between the German Jewish immigrants and the Eastern European Jews, and how these differences affected the orphanages.

An article published in 1992 in the Chicago Tribune by Ron Grossman details a reunion of former residents. 




 
© 2021 JGSI | P.O. Box 515, Northbrook, IL 60065-0515 | 312.666.0100 | info@jgsi.org
JGSI is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.